History of the Twin County United Way

History of the Twin County United Way

On September 15, 1950, a goal of $26,186 was set for the Nez Perce County Community Chest. There were six member agencies: Anti-Tuberculosis, Boy Scouts, Campfire Girls, Children’s Home, Salvation Army, Youth Activities Center and the YWCA.

In 1955 the drive was called the Red Feather-Red Cross United Fund with 14 member agencies and a goal of $65,750. Twin City United Fund was the name change in 1960 with a goal of $99,302. During this period of time there was a move to include the dread diseases with the United Fund Drive even though the national organizations had indicated they would not accept the money. In April of 1965, Chuck Lund was named president of the Twin County United Crusade (another name change). At this time it was recommended for the first time to hire a full-time paid executive.

Seventeen members participated in the 1968 Twin County United Fund Campaign to raise $127,600. In 1973 the final name change was made to the Twin County United Way.

The international movement, now in its second century, stands today, as one of the world’s most effective and efficient means of delivering services to people in need. Twin County United Way is proud to be part of this rich heritage and willingly takes its place as a leader pointing the way to a brighter future.

Today we partner with at 24 agencies to strategically address the top issues in our community and we track the results of our efforts each year. Instead of only fundraising for nonprofit programs, we focus on providing solutions to major human service issues in our community and changing conditions in the Lewis Clark Valley to advance the common good.

Needs Assessments are done every three to five years to identify the top needs. Then we work with local programs to address those needs through a competitive grant process led by community volunteers. We also target 1-2 specific issues a year and bring the community together to work on those issues.